Change Hostname on Linux
- Hostnames are used to indentify the machine name in Linux system.
- Networking is working better with the names not the IP address (numbers). So hostname is also very important in your system.
- Hostnames composed 2 parts: one is machine name and one is domain name.
- When you configure one Linux Server, you need know its hostname. This will be assigned by network administrator and will be a machine in your company domain. If your network is using DHCP, it may or may not assgin your system a hostname automatically.
- Use command uname -a to see the hostname , domain names, architecture and kernel version of your Linux System.
1. Change Hostname on Linux Redhat RHEL System
1a. Redhat 6.3 RHEL
2. Change Hostname on Linux Centos Fedora System
2a. Centos 6.3
3. Change Hostname on Linux Ubuntu Debian System
3a. Ubuntu 12
4. Change Hostname on Linux System without reboot
Thanks for using IThelpblog.com.